Visa NZ Hospitality Scholarship Entry Form
Applications for the first Visa NZ Hospitality Scholarship are now open and will be closing on 15 May 2023.
Lola Rouge - courtesy of Visa Wellington On a Plate
About the Scholarship
A new nationwide initiative offering the chance of a lifetime for hospitality workers to propel their career forward with long-term, professional development tailored for their successful future in hospitality.
Applications are open for all hospitality workers - in the kitchen, on the floor, behind the bar, young professionals working their way into restaurant management, and any other facet of the hospitality and restaurant sector – who are:
- residents of New Zealand (not just Wellington!) with the right to work here
- aged between 22 years and 35 years (at time of application)
- employed and working in the New Zealand restaurant and hospitality industry
- have a minimum of two years’ relevant experience in the industry
- able to self-nominate or be nominated by a manager or colleague.
The Scholarship Prize
The 2023 Visa NZ Hospitality Scholarship winner will win a prize tailored to their career interests, stage, and progression, including:
- A five-day work experience placement internationally at a restaurant or hospitality establishment (Including flights and accommodation).
- Attendance at an international professional development forum such as Food on the Edge or Tales of the Cocktail (including flights and accommodation).
- Professional skills development including a year-long mentorship. The experience will be catered to the Successful Applicant’s area of expertise within the Hospitality Industry.
- Access to a Social Media specialist for personal brand development coaching.
- Access to virtual business skills training, which includes access to EAP (mental wellbeing support), physical well-being support, career coaching and financial advice.
- A trip to Wellington for the 2023 Visa NZ Hospitality Scholarship Announcement including flights and accommodation.
A trip to Wellington to attend the 2024 Visa Wellington On a Plate Festival, (including flights and accommodation) and potential for involvement in a festival event. The total prize value is NZ$30,000.
The Judges are looking for Applicants who:
- demonstrate ambition and a drive to forge a career in the Hospitality Industry
- are highly skilled and knowledgeable in a specific discipline within the Hospitality Industry
- demonstrate leadership with the potential to shape the future of the Hospitality Industry
- act in a professional manner and have a willingness to share their skills and knowledge with others
- have an understanding of communicating in the digital spaceand
- are willing to participate in promotional activity related to the sponsors support of the scholarship if selected as the winner.
The Judging Process
Round One – Selecting a shortlist
- Applications are due by 11.59pm on Monday 15 May.
- A selection panel will review all applications against the selection criteria and select up to 20 applicants for a shortlist
- The 20 applicants who selected for the shortlist will be notified by 11.59pm on Monday 29 May
Round Two – Video submissions
- Shortlisted applicants will be required to create a short video, working from a brief supplied to them.
- Video submissions will be due by 5pm Monday 12 June 2023.
- The Judging Panel will assess the videos and online applications, and select a maximum of 6 applicants to move to the next round of judging, the Interview Round.
- Applicants selected for the Interview Round will be notified by 11.59pm Wednesday 28 June.
Round Three – Interview round
- The Judging Panel will conduct interviews with all 6 shortlisted applicants via a digital platform starting week commencing Monday 3 July 2023.
- 3 applicants will then be selected for second interviews by close of business Friday 14 July 2023.
Round Four – Second interviews and workplace visits
- Applicants will each be required to host up to 2 members of the Judging Panel in their work environment.
- Workplace Visits will commence from Monday 24 July 2023.
Announcement of winner
The winner will be notified after Friday 11 August. The winner of the Visa NZ Hospitality Scholarship will be announced on Thursday 24 August.
This Scholarship is supported by Visa and Visa Wellington On a Plate.
The full terms and conditions are available here.
For any questions about your application, please contact email@example.com
Applications are due no later than 11.59pm on Monday 15 May 2023.